Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The back-side situation

Had a hemorrhoid.

It wasn't fun. Took almost a full week to get the swelling down and another couple of days to stem the bleeding.

I won't go any further into it.

It was my fault. I trained and strained too hard while eating bad for a couple weeks and not hydrating with lots of water. I paid the piper.

Last night was the first real jaunt back into the gym. Familiar nods, "where you been bro?"

Thing is, when you're hard down with an issue like the aforementioned, you can't really do anything. You can't train, you can't lift, you can't really even walk without disruption, discomfort, and disdain for what you've done to yourself. What do you tell the guys who are used to your energy being in the gym somewhere between 4:00 and 5:30 every night?

"Had a hemorrhoid dude, had to lay off the gym for awhile."

Honesty isn't necessarily going to win any awards in situations like that. Found that out last night. Fuck it though, what else can I say?

So,

Fiber. Do that. Get Plenty.
Water. Get lots and lots.
Protein. Always necessary, but spread it out through the day.

And?

Meals. Should this issue ever cross your path, don't break the bank on a single meal and eat tentatively throughout the day. Space out booze consumption, spicy foods, all of that.

Prevention is the key though. Fiber, water, standard diet, Omega-3's. Don't find yourself off balance like I did and try to fix it after the fact. Stay on track.

Yeah, more for me than for you, lesson learned. For sure.

B.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

A fear of mine for sure! I now eat so much stinkin fiber 1 that I own stock in the company...

My Dr said i MUST eat as much fiber as i can tolerate..which means a little weight gain..oh well.